Fayette County Issues Tea Party logo
Fayette County Issues Tea Party logo
WE THE PEOPLE of Fayette County... cannot be complacent about our future
 
ELECTED OFFICIALS
RESOURCES
PHOTOS
ARCHIVE
ISSUES
K-12 EDUCATION
 AMNESTY
AGENDA 21
2ND AMENDMENT
 
TAXATION
LEGISLATION

Taxation

We support two bills from the 2013 legislative session:

SB 73 "Anti-TSPLOST Penalty Act" 
This bill would repeal the penalties on jurisdictions that voted to not accept the Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax in July 2012.  The penalties are in the form of reduced state Department of Transportation funding support for approved projects in counties & towns.

In Fayette County, the jurisdiction was responsible for about 20% of the project cost, and the DOT provided the remaining 80% (which comes largely from state fuel taxes). Since our region chose not to participate in the T-SPLOST, we are now required to pay 30% of projects' costs.

 

HB 153/SB 99 "Fractional Sales Tax"
This act would authorize jurisdictions to impose sales tax increases of less than 1c, which is the minimum amount now permitted under the GA Constitution.

Doing so would permit multiple authorities in a jurisdiction to better tailor a temporary sales tax increase to their needs.  For example, both a county school board and the county commission could pass half-cent increases for, say, two years to fund capital projects (new school, bridge, etc).  Voters are much more likely to approve the two half-cent increases for two years than two 1c increases for a year.

It's another usefule tool for funding our needs.


-